Days after an examination was conducted on the Vreed -en-Hoop public road, West Coast Demerara, to determine the cause of the sunken area, a number of workers were called in to remedy the deteriorated section, reportedly caused by faulty foundation works.Remedial works ongoing on the Vreed-en-Hoop, WCD roadOn Saturday morning, a team of contractors were busy digging up the deteriorated area which covered about 100 feet of the road.A source told Guyana Times that the road began to sink due to defective foundation works previously laid by the two contractors – Surrey Paving and Aggregate Company Limited, a Jamaican company along with BK International Inc.Contractors attached to the two companies were on Saturday digging up the faulty layers and replaying it with other materials.On Friday, Head of the Works Services Group at the Infrastructure Ministry, Geoffrey Vaughn told this publication that the contractors are now standing the expenses to conduct repairs to the road, under the defect liability clause in the contract.He explained during a telephone interview that the contract has a defect liability period, which means any defects which develop, in this case over a year’s time, would have to be repaired by the contractors and not the Ministry.The head of the Works Services Group also pointed out that the Ministry is aware of the situation, hence, it is ensuring that the contractors remedy the road. According to him, “We see the defects, we are cutting the area out now and ensure that there is no further deterioration.”On Wednesday, workers attached to Surrey Paving and Aggregate Company Limited had begun drilling holes to surround the sunken section of road at Vreed-en-Hoop, as they explained that they were conducting an examination to determine the reason for the sunken section of the roadway.Guyana Times understands that days before the hole formed, the patch was uneven and rough, causing motorists to avoid using that section of the roadway.The project which was constructed to the tune of some $9.7 billion was completed this this year by the two contractors after several hiccups and setbacks.Back in July when the road was commissioned by subject Minister David Patterson, it was noted that the project was funded by the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB).Some 30.7 kilometers of the West Coast roadway was rehabilitated to include bridges and culverts, new ‘shared-use’ lanes for cyclists and pedestrians at key junctions, the installation of high visibility traffic signs and road markers, the installation of pedestrian footpath bridges, the construction of concrete drains at critical locations and the construction of parking lanes along identified sections of the road, the Department of Public Information reported.The expansion entailed the improvement of about 30.7 kilometres of the West Coast Demerara Road from Vreed-en-Hoop to Hydronie, East Bank Essequibo just about one-mile East of Parika.
– Advertisement –
The Supreme Court has delivered its judgement and upheld the new BCCI constitution submitted by the Committee of Administrators (COA) following some revisions. This now paves the way for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to return to democracy after the revised constitution is registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act in thirty days.It also marks the beginning of the end of the COA’s nineteen month stint so far during which they made some significant decisions like giving cricketers, selectors, umpires, scorers pay hikes as well as upgrading the players’ contract system. However failing to enforce the Supreme Court order on Lodha reforms, they were constantly accused of exceeding their brief and meddling in BCCI’s day to day affairs.COA member Diana Edulji takes some of these questions from India Today…Q. Diana Edulji, your initial thoughts on the order which has come a year and a half after your committee was appointed?A. It’s been some time now since we got into this. We wanted to implement it quickly but there were lot of appeals and we got stuck. I am happy the final order is out now. We are still reading through it and seeking legal opinion. But there is a clear road map now to get these things implemented as soon as possible so that we can have a new BCCI functioning as soon as possible.Q. The court doing away with ‘one state one vote’ was not unexpected after requests from all quarters. But how do you read the decision to relax ‘cooling off clause’ which now allows an office bearer to stay in office for two consecutive terms?advertisementA. There were suggestions for cooling off period to be wiped out completely also. In all fairness, two terms is good enough. One term would have been a little short that’s my personal opinion. You need a bit of continuity. But I think two terms is fair enough and a right step taken by the Supreme Court.Q. So you don’t agree it’s dilution of the original order?A. I don’t think two terms is a dilution of the first order. It’s just to broad-base the situation and take the consideration to have a good functional BCCI and state associations. In that respect it’s a fair judgement.BCCI COA member and former India captain Diana Edulji welcomed all the modifications made by the SC in its revised order on BCCI reforms. Speaking about the COA role, she said, ‘We are in the slog overs now.’#ReporterDiary by @rkmraseshMore videos: https://t.co/FAHzdjSiWA pic.twitter.com/l1IxevjcE7India Today (@IndiaToday) August 9, 2018Q. You have been a player yourself. So you would not be surprised with the number of selectors being revised to five with the work load before them?A. Yes. It was becoming difficult with the number of matches increasing, the no of tournaments increasing, both men and women with three selectors. It was getting a bit impractical and now with five it will be eased a bit. There will be less pressure on selectors.Q. What are the immediate implications though? Can the current three member selection Committee continue to pick teams?A. We donn’t have to rush into things. The legal will be looking into the order. And we have to get the new constitution under Tamil Nadu Societies Act. It will take some time. As and when we get legal advice, we will decide. If we have to take urgent steps, we will do so.Q. You have scheduled interviews for women’s head coach on Friday. The order says head coach of any Indian team will be picked by the Cricket Advisory committee.A. I will have to send this point across to legal as well as Mr. Vinod Rai, if we can go ahead with the women’s head coach interviews. But we need to get the coach in place too. One option is to continue to have the interim arrangement, we currently have.Q. You are right that the new coach needs to be in place soon. This is a World T20 year for the women’s team.A. And before the World T20 we go to Sri Lanka as well. So the new coach has to be in place with the team and strategise with the team. One has to get to know the team. So it’s important. Also the selection committee has to be in place to pick the men’s and women’s team. It has to be something we have to look into quickly. If possible we have to take decisions because until new constitution is framed, these things will have to be looked into properly. We can’t rush things either which leads to problems later.advertisementQ. I know you still have a job to do to oversee implementation of new BCCI constitution. But how do you look back at the stint so far? One could see from the outside there was a lot of acrimony between the COA and office bearers.A. It’s part of life. You have acrimony on the cricket field too. It’s a game. As a player I never bothered about all this, I was going to do my job. Now most importantly, the slog overs are on and we have to finish the job.
zoom SM Shipping, a new container carrier established by South Korea’s Samra Midas (SM) Group after the group acquired Asia-US route from bankrupt Hanjin Shipping, plans to start its first service on March 8 along the East and the South China Sea, Korean news site Pulse informed. The service will depart Busan in South Korea and stop in China, Thailand and Vietnam.The company’s first full service on its Asia-North America route – from Busan to Californian Long Beach Terminal – is scheduled for April 21.The company’s fleet has a capacity of 47,000 TEU comprising of the recently purchased five 6,500 TEU boxships, one 4,300 TEU vessel and one 1,000 TEU containership as well as of the leased five vessels with a capacity of 2,000-3,000 TEU, according to Pulse.By 2018, SM Shipping intends to have a fleet of 21 vessels with a capacity of 110,000 TEU.In November 2016, World Maritime News reported that SM Group’s Korea Line Corp. was selected as the preferred bidder to take over Hanjin’s Asia-US route, outbidding its compatriot shipping company Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM).Now, the shipping firm plans to acquire Hanjin’s terminals in South Korea as well. SM Shipping reportedly agreed with the Seoul bankruptcy court to buy a 100% stake in Gwangyang terminal and an 85.45% stake in Gyeongin terminal.Additionally, it is likely that the firm will take over the third Hanjin terminal located in Busan.World Maritime News Staff
Categories: Bellino News 27Apr Bellino plan would modernize boater safety certification system Legislation creates new designation for driver’s license, state ID cardsState Rep. Joe Bellino today announced a plan that would allow boaters and jet-skiers to do away with the paper boating safety certification cards they are currently required to carry while on the water.The proposal establishes a designation that could be placed on the driver’s licenses and state identification cards of residents who hold a boating safety certification.“A paper license that disintegrates when it gets wet is clearly not the best option for boaters,” said Bellino, of Monroe. “It would be much more practical and convenient for boaters to indicate their eligibility with the ID card they carry around each and every day.”Bellino recently introduced the legislation alongside Reps. Steve Marino of Harrison Township and Beau LaFave of Iron Mountain. The plan laid out in House Bills 5836, 5879 and 5880 would also allow boaters to present electronic proof of their boater safety certificates when stopped by law enforcement.Under the proposal, officers would be able to take the boater’s electronic device to their vehicle or request the documentation be forwarded by email or text. Bellino said search and seizure protections are included to prevent officers from looking through phones if they are handed over for e-proof verification.The procedures are similar to those laid out in laws enacted in 2016 and 2017 allowing drivers to present electronic proofs of their vehicle insurance and registration.“We live in a society where most people are never more than an arm’s length away from their smart phone. If someone can show a digital copy of their boater education card it should serve the same purpose as a paper copy,” Bellino said. “An update is long overdue.”The legislation was referred to the House Natural Resources Committee for consideration.###
Solar industry on edge as Trump weighs tariffs on panels Britain on Monday launched plans for a cap on domestic energy prices, as it cracks down on poor-value tariffs that hurt the most vulnerable. The government is to present legislation before parliament to limit unit prices charged for electricity and gas, in time for next winter, for customers not yet protected who end up with the highest tariffs.Britain’s privatised domestic energy sector, which is run in large part by eurozone-based companies, has faced criticism over default high tariffs that punish customers who for various reasons do not seek out a better deal by switching provider.”It’s often older people or those on low incomes who are stuck on rip-off energy tariffs, so today we are introducing legislation to force energy companies to change their ways,” said Prime Minister Theresa May, who leads the right-wing Conservative Party.”Our energy price cap will cut bills for millions of families. This is another step we are taking to help people make ends meet as we build a country that works for everyone.”The Domestic Gas and Electricity (Tariff Cap) Bill will allow regulator Ofgem to limit tariffs until 2020, with the option to extend the cap annually until 2023.The strategy will guarantee price protection for 11 million households currently on the highest energy tariffs in Britain.In 2016, the Competition and Markets Authority warned that British consumers were paying £1.4 billion ($2.0 billion, 1.6 billion euros) too much per year on companies’ default tariffs. Explore further Citation: Britain seeks to cap ‘rip-off’ energy prices (2018, February 26) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-02-britain-cap-rip-off-energy-prices.html © 2018 AFP This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.