Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the new coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___British Open organizers say postponement is an option for this year’s tournament at Royal St. George’s because of the coronavirus outbreak. April 2, 2020 ___Potential hosts of soccer’s 2027 Asian Cup have been given more time to enter the contest by the Asian Football Confederation.The AFC says the March deadline to show interest was extended by three months to June because many of its member federations have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic.The Saudi Arabian soccer body said in February it wanted to host the 24-team tournament.China will host the 2023 edition. A return to western Asia is possible after the United Arab Emirates staged the 2019 tournament. The Latest: British Open says postponement is an option Associated Press The motorcycling series has yet to start its season.The season-opener in Qatar was canceled, the Thailand, Americas and Argentina races were postponed to October-November, and the Spanish MotoGP has yet to find new dates.The next race at risk is the Italian MotoGP on May 31.___World Sailing has canceled the World Cup Series Final in Enoshima, Japan, in June because of the coronavirus outbreak. Brescia is the third-worst hit province in Italy with more than 8,500 coronavirus cases and more than 1,300 deaths.In an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, Cellino says “this season doesn’t make sense anymore.”He says “returning to activity is pure craziness. If they force us to I am ready to not put out the team and lose the matches 3-0 by default out of respect for the citizens of Brescia and their loved ones who aren’t here anymore.”Brescia is in last place in the league standings. The president of Lazio recently accused Cellino of trying to avoid relegation.Cellino says “I don’t care at all about relegation. So far we have deserved it and I have my blame in that, too.” The R&A released a short statement in response to media speculation about the staging of the event in July. Chief executive Martin Slumbers says the “process is taking some time to resolve” because of a range of external factors.Slumbers says “we are well aware of the importance of being able to give clear guidance to fans, players and everyone involved and are working to resolve this as soon as we can.”The 149th edition of the Open Championship is scheduled to take place July 16-19. The last time the Open wasn’t played was in 1945 because of World War II.___The French Grand Prix scheduled for May 17 in Le Mans has been postponed, becoming the sixth MotoGP race to be called off because of the coronavirus outbreak. The regatta was to give valuable competition for the Olympic classes just over a month before the start of the Tokyo Games.The Olympics have been postponed to 2021.World Sailing and Japanese officials were in talks to return to Enoshima in 2021 before the rescheduled Olympics.___Brescia president Massimo Cellino says he will forfeit his team’s remaining Serie A matches if the Italian soccer league resumes. The AFC is planning for a 2027 tournament but a FIFA task force drafting a future calendar of matches and tournaments will likely be asked to align continental championships. The European Championship and South America’s Copa America are on track to kick off in June 2028.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6
Joel Adesina was an ‘Ambitious’ and ‘hard-working’ teenager who was talented enough to play professionally in the top flight of the English football league.As reported on Daily Mail, he was stabbed in the stomach during a late-night row on Friday night last week in Bethnal Green, East London after Joel and his friends were ambushed while taking a walk and were chased into a housing estate where he was stabbed.He was rushed to the hospital where he died three hours later into Saturday morning.– See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/15-year-old-nigerian-footballer-stabbed-killed-england/#sthash.VVNmF0k5.dpufAn 18-year-old suspect was arrested but later released with no further action to be taken.Neighbours and manager of the teenager’s football team described him a gentle young boy who never stayed out late as he was mostly seen returning home in his football kits Joel as a winger was ‘’as good as gold’’ and talented enough to play professionally,’ his coach at Bardag FC Yellows, Ricky Downes said.‘’To say that myself and the club are devastated is an understatement, we are absolutely in bits.”‘’Joel was a wonderful young lad who had the world at his feet.‘’He was a very talented footballer and had ambitions of playing professionally. I think he had a future in the sport and could have played for a living.‘’He was a very talented footballer and had ambitions of playing professionally. I think he had a future in the sport and could have played for a living. ‘’There was something about Joel that touched me and his death is totally unexpected. He never gave me any inkling that he was involved in gangs or anything like that.‘’He was cheeky, bubbly, and a thoroughly likeable young man,” 55-year-old Mr Downes added.Police report has it that Joel and his friends were walking, possibly home, when they were confronted by a group in a parked car; they were chased by the group into a housing estate where neighbours say they heard ‘screaming and shouting’. Joel was cornered and stabbed.‘’Police were called by London Ambulance Service to Bethnal Green Road, E2, at 23:04hrs on Friday, 5 December.‘’Officers attended and found a 15-year-old boy suffering from serious stab injuries to the abdomen. ‘’The boy was taken by London Ambulance Service to an east London hospital.‘’Anyone who may have witnessed this altercation or have information which could assist the investigation is asked to contact the police as soon as possible.”– See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/15-year-old-nigerian-footballer-stabbed-killed-england/#sthash.VVNmF0k5.dpuf
Howie Roseman emphasizes the team’s interest in extending QB Carson Wentz contract and continuing to build around him. “We’re incredibly optimistic about the 2019 season,” Roseman said. “Having Carson here long term is our goal and we’re working towards that.”— Dave Spadaro (@EaglesInsider) March 25, 2019Wentz, 26, is entering his fourth year in the NFL. Injuries late in the season have forced him to miss significant time in the playoffs, including the Eagles’ Super Bowl 52 victory.Wentz threw for 3,074 yards and 21 touchdowns in 11 games last season before being shut down with a back injury. The Eagles could be looking to agree on a long-term deal with Carson Wentz.Philadelphia vice president of football operations Howie Roseman said Monday that the team is “working toward” an extension with the quarterback. Related News NFL free agency: Browns could be looking to add safety Saints coach Sean Payton lobbies for changes to NFL replay review rules The signal caller has been replaced by Nick Foles in the playoffs for the past two seasons. But, Foles signed a four-year, $88 million deal with the Jaguars earlier this month.Philadelphia finished 2018 at 9-7 and fell to New Orleans in the divisional round of the playoffs.Wentz is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.
Governor Reynolds holds her daily news conference at 11:00 AM. You can listen on AM-1300 KGLO & kgloam.com, or watch here.