Approximately 20 people took part in a fight at the junction of Broad Street and Magdalen Street this morning for reasons which remain unknown. A man in his thirties was taken to hospital with serious injuries after the fight occurred, and part of Broad Street was closed during the following hours of this morning.The man told the police he had been attacked by a younger man with dark skin and a beard, but there has since been no sign of the police finding this individual. This incident, reported as a crime, escalated into a large brawl around 3am. The seriously injured man was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital immediately afterwards, although his injuries were not life-threatening according to the police.The section of Broad Street where the events took place had to be kept closed until 11.30am, when staff were able to open the shops in the area. Among these shops were Boswell’s department store, the Varsity Shop, Fudge Kitchen and Cath Kidston. Michael Penfold, working on Boswell’s web team, told Cherwell, “We didn’t get a good look really – a good portion of Broad Street was sectioned off with police tape, and there was what I assume was someone from the forensics team pottering around taking photos of the crime scene itself.“The street itself looked completely normal with the exception of course of a lack of people, and a few of those yellow crime scene markers outside the store next door to the Fudge store or Cath Kidston. Boswell’s then opened around about 11:00 / 11:30am this morning.”The manager of the Varsity Shop, Laura Greenaway, described the scene in the same terms, highlighting the fact that curiosity was the main reaction to the events. “Broad Street was basically cornered off,” she said. “We were allowed in at half eleven and opened after that. My friend had told me about the incident before I arrived at the shop, and I just wondered what exactly had happened.”After being made accessible to the public again, Broad Street remained almost empty for the rest of this Good Friday. One Trinity College porter told Cherwell, “Not one person has mentioned it all day, it’s been very quiet” despite being very close to the location in which the brawl took place.
Lošinj, the island of vitality is once again recognized as a brand of top quality and overall content. Based on the high marks of excellence obtained in the Tourism category, this year is also the proud holder of the SUPERBRANDS CROATIA 2017/2018 label.The selected list of market-exposed brands on the Croatian market was again evaluated by the Superbrands 2017/2018 Expert Council, formed by a narrow circle of recognized experts from the world of media, marketing, public relations and the business world, assessing factors that differentiate brands and their strength in the open market-communication field: quality, diversity, reliability and emotional impact. “With this label, Lošinj once again confirmed its place among world-renowned destinations. Thanks to the synergy of visitors and the population, the effort that the destination invests in its sustainability has once again been rewarded. Based on this, the island of vitality is considered a long-term destination that connects the natural beauty and preservation of the landscape with the quality of life on the island. With quality destination management, as well as the tradition of health tourism, Lošinj has developed a brand of health and vitality, so active vacation, wellness and health, as well as the possibility of year-round business, are the leading trump cards of the tourist offer of the island of vitality” said the President of the Tourist Board of the City of Mali Lošinj Ana Kučić.The Superbrands label of excellence has been recognized and used in ninety countries around the world for more than twenty years and is also a significant communication factor in the value of the brand.
Panelists in a roundtable discussions during one of the sessions.About US$150 million has been earmarked by the Norwegian Government as funds to Liberia to REDD+ for the implementation of the Liberian Forest Sector.According to REDD+ convener Dominic T. Johns in 2014, the prospects for REDD+ and sustainable forest management in the country were greatly improved by the signing of an agreement between Liberia and Norway to cooperate on REDD+ and develop Liberia’s agricultural sector, where Norway has contributed US$150 million to fund Liberia’s REDD+ effort.“The first phase of the funding is to prepare and demonstrate the REDD+ intervention, while the final phase, which will begin from 2020 onward is to pay for verified emission reductions.“The payments will reward actions that resulted in a reduction of emissions from deforestation and/or forest degradation and support Liberia’s green economic growth,” according to the project’s background.It was also revealed that Liberia has already benefited from over US$46 million of the committed investment for REDD+ preparation and implementation.Over the weekend, REDD+ Technical Working Group and REDD+ and Implementation Unit, in collaboration with partners, including Forestry Development Authority (FDA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the FFI and Liberia Land Authority (LLA), held a two-day high level policy roundtable discussion in Ganta City, Nimba County commercial hub.The workshop, under the theme, “Toward a National Vision and Support for REDD+ in Liberia,” brought together some high profile dignitaries from the forestry sector, including FDA Board Chair Harrison Karnwea, FDA Managing Director C. Mike Doryen, and EPA Executive Director, Nathaniel Blama.National REDD+ Coordinator Saah David, in his introductory statement, highlighted some of the entity’s achievements in the protection of the country’s biodiversity.The National REDD+Technical Working Group was established as a platform for government, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to engage in the preparation of a project known as “Readings Program Idea Note (R-PIN), which was submitted to the Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF) in May 2008.This was followed by the draft Readiness Preparation Proposal (R-PP) and was finalized in April 2012,” he said.“Since then, the FDA and the EPA have led the work to complete the REDD+ readiness phase of the FCPF process,” Mr. David said.Panelists then discussed the benefit, opportunities and potential effects of REDD+ on the local community, and economy-based on lesson learned from other countries.The workshop ended on Friday, August 30, 2019 where another panelists discussed on what role can high level policy makers play, and how can they be instrumental in the implementation of REDD+ strategic in the country.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
More than 200 slaves bound for the cane fields of Brazil died in the icy ocean around the Cape of Good Hope when their slave ship was wrecked. Remnants of the wreckage are being studied by maritime archaeologists and historians in South Africa and the US. Maritime archaeologists, pictured here exploring the wreckage of the the São José Paquete Africa that sank off the Cape coast more than 200 years ago, say the ship will give us a better understanding of the slave trade. (Image: US National Parks Service) By Shamin ChibbaIn 2010, when Iziko Museums’ maritime archaeologist, Jaco Boshoff, saw a few simple looking iron ballasts discovered from a shipwreck near Camps Bay, Cape Town, he knew it could only be one type of vessel: a slave ship, and the first to be found anywhere in the world.On Tuesday, 2 June, members of Iziko Museums, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture, and the Slave Wrecks Project officially announced the discovery of remnants of the São José Paquete Africa, a Portuguese slave ship that was wrecked off the coast of Cape Town more than 200 years ago.Lonnie G Bunch III, the founding director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, said the findings would “help people get a better understanding of the slave trade”.The discovery of the wreckage is overseen by the Slave Wrecks Project, which is a long-term collaboration between six partners, including Iziko and the African American museum. The project combines research, training and education to build knowledge about the study of the global slave trade, particularly through slave shipwrecks.Stephen Lubkeman of the Slave Wrecks Project said this was the first documented wreck of a ship that was carrying slaves. The iron ballasts were used to counter the weight of the slaves who did not weigh as much as other cargo. (Image: Iziko Museums)On December 3, 1794, the slave ship left Mozambique for Maranhão, Brazil, where the men and women it was carrying were to work the sugar plantations. But their journey stopped short, only 24 days in, when they were hit by severe storms just off the Cape of Good Hope.According to a New York Times article, the ship was pounded by strong winds while rounding the Cape and broke into pieces on two reefs, in deep and turbulent waters, about 92m from shore.More than 200 of the enslaved Africans drowned, even though the wreck was so close to the shore that crewmen were able to shoot a cannon after hitting the rocks to signal for help.All of the crew and half of the slaves reached the shore and survived, leaving 212 slaves to perish in the sea. Those who survived were sold into slavery two days later.Iron ballasts a major clueBoshoff immediately knew he was dealing with the wreckage of a slave ship when he saw the blocks of ballasts. Ballasts were a signature of slave ships, said the archaeologists. These were used to counterbalance the weight of slaves in the cargo hold as they did not weigh as much as other cargo.Like most wrecks, the São José broke into pieces, making it difficult for maritime archaeologists to determine which ship they had discovered. Boshoff said the crew had to investigate the wreckage meticulously to find clues that it was actually a ship. “The ship broke up completely so there is very little to tell you that it was a shipwreck. So you have got to look very carefully. There were one or two bits of timber, ballast blocks… and mostly sand.”South Africa’s coastline a ship graveyardThe São José was not the only ship to have fallen victim to the vicious storms off the South African coastline. Some 3 000 vessels have sunk off these shores, particularly around what was previously known as the Cape of Storms off the Western Cape.Records of shipwrecks in South African waters date back to the 1500s, with another Portuguese ship, the São João, being the earliest known casualty. In 1552, the 900-ton galleon was carrying pepper, Chinese porcelain and other merchandise from India when its rigging was damaged in a storm near Port Edward, in KwaZulu-Natal. About 120 of 600 passengers died; the survivors set off on foot for Maputo River in Mozambique, a trek that lasted more than five months. Only 25 made it to the river.This was followed by the wreckage of the Santo Alberto (1593) near Umtata River, Santo Espiritu (1608) off the east coast, São Joao Baptista (1622) near Cannon Rocks in Eastern Cape, and Santa Maria Madre de Deus (1643), also off the east coast. This oil painting by George Carter shows the Grosvenor being wrecked off the Wild Coast. Most of the passengers and crew survived but later 105 of them would die while making their way to Cape Town on foot. (Image: Wikimedia Commons)Famous wrecksSome of the better-known wrecks include the Grosvenor, the Arniston, the Waratah, the Birkenhead, the Sacramento and, more recently, the Oceanos. It is even said that the mythical Flying Dutchman met its end off South African shores.The British schooner, the Grosvenor, sank on 4 August 1782, off what is now known as the Wild Coast in Eastern Cape. Captain John Coxon mistook farm fires on the land for something similar to the Northern Lights and misjudged the ship to be 300km away from shore.The ship continued sailing towards the coastline. Coxon only realised his mistake at dawn and ordered the ship to turn, but by then it was too late and the ship hit the rocks. Of the 150 crew and passengers, 123 reached the beach alive. The survivors decided to make their way to Cape Town but only 18 survived that journey.Built in 1794, the Arniston made its last voyage in April 1815. It departed Ceylon, modern day Sri Lanka, carrying 378 people including troops who had fought in the Kandyan Wars. When rounding the Cape on 30 April, the ship had to navigate through heavy storms and strong currents. The captain mistook Cape Agulhas for Cape Point and ordered the ship north towards St Helena, assuming that they had passed Cape Point. It wrecked near Cape Agulhas and only six people survived.More famous than any of the real-life shipwrecks that have taken place in South African waters, however, is the wreckage of the mythical Flying Dutchman. It was even a major plot point in the third instalment of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series that starred Johnny Depp. The Flying Dutchman is said to have an eerie glow and is a bad omen for anyone who sees it. The oil painting above titled ‘The Flying Dutchman’ by Albert Pinkham Ryder is housed in the Smithsonian American Art Museum (Image: Wikimedia Commons)It is said that a Dutch warship was wrecked off the Cape of Good Hope, killing everyone on board. Superstitious seafarers believed the glowing ghost of the ship was doomed to never make port and to sail the seas forever. It was considered a bad omen to see it and could lead to death. The ship was first referenced in A Voyage to Botany Bay by George Barrington in 1795, an Irish pickpocket and author. Several sightings of the ship had been reported.Belief in the phantom schooner persisted into the early twentieth century. A Popular Mechanics article published in August 1923 said stories of the Flying Dutchman were still heard where sailors gathered and that such superstitions defied the age of reason.
APTN National NewsIt was an online fundraising campaign to raise a lofty goal – $10 million.All to build an all-weather road for Shoal Lake #40.While falling well short of their goal organizers are happy the campaign kept the issue in the spotlight.And with a federal election underway they have no plans of letting up.APTN’s Dennis Ward has the story.
Travis Henry, known more for his unconscionable amount of children more than his prowess on the field, was reinstated from the suspended list and is free to sign with an NFL team that might be interested, according to Scout.com.Henry, a 33-year-old running back that played 90 games in the NFL, has not played since 2007. A few months after being cut by the Denver Broncos, Henry was arrested by federal drug agents in October 2008.He pleaded guilty in 2009 to one count of conspiracy to traffic cocaine and was sentenced to three years in prison for financing a drug ring that moved cocaine between Colorado and Montana.Henry has said that at the time of his arrest that he was struggling to keep up with child support payments. So instead of working on getting on with another team, Henry decided to become a drug dealer, which speaks to where his head was.Perhaps that’s the residual that comes with having 11 children with 10 different women. That is not a misprint.His story could be such a feel-good thing. He rose from a childhood of poverty; his single mother picked oranges for a living. But Henry made it happen on the football team, becoming a record-setting running back at the University of Tennessee.He was drafted in 2001 by the Buffalo Bills and joined the Broncos in 2007 after two seasons with the Tennessee Titans. It was all set up for him to create the life he wanted.But one season into a four-year, $22.5 million contract, Henry was cut following allegations of drug use and a perceived lack of commitment.His income gone, Henry turned to the drug trade in part to cover mounting child support payments, according to court documents and testimony.Henry has rushed for 6,086 yards and 38 touchdowns in 90 NFL games. Latching on a team after five years out of the league promise to be a tough chore
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #PassportOffice Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, August 11, 2017 – Nassau – In news from Bahamas Information Services… Following a successful exercise to facilitate the collection of new e-passports at a Special Collection Centre, the Passport Office has announced that the Passport Collection/Issuance centre returns to the regular headquarters on Thompson Boulevard/University Drive, effective Monday, August 14.Chief Passport Officer Superintendent Clarence Russell said: “The special collection exercise during the month of July and the first two weeks of August at the Anatol Rodgers Gymnasium has been an unqualified success, having issued well in excess of 3,000 e-passports to today’s date. We were able to significantly reduce the number of uncollected passports that had already been processed and the #PassportOffice staff worked hard to accommodate the general public’s summer travel plans.“We are now satisfied that Bahamians who needed to upgrade to the new e-passports along with those who had special travel plans for the summer holidays or otherwise have now been accommodated in the most efficient fashion.”That extra publicity and prodding from the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Darren Henfield worked said Mr. Russell. The few passports left can now be collected at the Thompson Boulevard site. Other ‘thank-yous’ went out to Anatol Rodgers School for use of the facility and for security provided daily by both the Royal Bahamas Police Force and Royal Bahamas Defense Force.#MagneticMediaNews