FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Matthew Bandyk for SNL:The U.S. Supreme Court in 2016 already issued one decision that shook the energy industry, but another, more obscure case likely to be decided in the spring could also have widespread reverberations, this time for power projects — especially renewable energy.Various interest groups have lined up on either side of Hughes v. Talen Energy, both claiming that the wrong move by the court could inadvertently frustrate developers of wind and solar installations as they work to keep growing the nation’s renewable energy supply. Wind and solar have soared from providing less than 0.5% of the total electricity generated in the U.S. in 2005 to providing more than 5% in 2015 through November, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration data.But a major developer of renewable projects says it already has been blocked from pursuing new solar projects by state policies like the one the Supreme Court must rule on in the Hughes case.The state of Maryland is asking the court to overturn a lower court’s ruling that struck down a Maryland plan to incentivize the building of a new natural gas-fired plant. Under the program, the developer that won a competitive bidding process had to agree to build a new plant and then bid all of the facility’s capacity into the PJM Interconnection LLC’s capacity market. However, the state’s local electric distribution companies had to sign contracts with the developer and pay a specific amount for that capacity over the length of the contracts regardless of the prices set by the PJM market. To that end, if the contract prices turn out to be higher than the market prices, the utilities would pay the difference to the developer, and vice versa if the market prices were higher than the contract prices.Unlike the Supreme Court’s decision earlier in 2016 concerning demand response, Hughes is a case that has largely flown under the radar, perhaps in part due to the technical complexity of the issue, which has left even Supreme Court justices scratching their heads.In Feb. 24 oral arguments, former U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement tried to help out Justice Stephen Breyer, who freely admitted that he was confused about the complicated case. Clement was an attorney for the Talen side, arguing that Maryland’s scheme interfered with the price-setting process in competitive wholesale electricity markets and thus intruded on FERC’s jurisdiction.In trying to help Breyer understand what was so objectionable about this specific type of subsidy, Clement said the problem is that Maryland’s policy sends the message to electricity generators to stop competing “based on market forces and efficiency” and instead compete for “subsidies” and “guarantees.”Full article ($): US Supreme Court could alter path for renewables in 2016 Little-Publicized Supreme Court Case Around Fossil-Fuel Subsidies Will Affect Wind and Solar
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Uzbekistan plans to more than double its power generating capacity over the next 10 years, with half of new capacity coming from solar plants and wind farms, the Central Asian nation’s government said on Monday.The former Soviet republic of 34 million aims to increase its capacity to 29.3 gigawatts (GW) from the current 12.9 GW, and rely less on natural gas, which dominates its power mix at present, it said in a strategic plan.Out of the added capacity, 5 GW is set to come from solar power plants and 3 GW from wind farms, the government said. Renewables will thus account for more than a quarter of the country’s capacity by 2030.Uzbekistan has already launched a handful of projects, including with Saudi Arabia’s ACWA Power and United Arab Emirates’ Masdar, for the construction of solar and wind facilities with long-term power purchase agreements.It is also working with Russia’s Rosatom to build a nuclear power plant. Uzbekistan has large natural gas reserves, but aims to reduce its consumption in the power sector from 16.5 billion cubic metres to 12.1 billion cubic metres by 2030.[Mukhammadsharif Mamatkulov]More: Uzbekistan to double power generating capacity, go heavy on renewables Uzbekistan government moving forward with major renewable energy investment initiative
A driver for ride-hailing service provider Grab has been cleared of allegations of attempted kidnapping after meeting with his accuser, saying the incident had been the result of miscommunication and his lack of knowledge about South Jakarta roads.The driver, Muhammad Imam, and his passenger, Istiani, agreed on a peaceful resolution to the case after a meeting mediated by police at the Jakarta Police Headquarters in South Jakarta on Tuesday.“Today I will retract the police report [I made],” Istiani said after the meeting, as quoted by kompas.com. “The driver and I have apologized and forgiven each other. I apologize to [Imam], his family, and Grab for all the fuss.” In panic, she pushed Grab’s Emergency Help button in the app, after which, in panic, Imam dropped her by the side of the toll road. The frightened Istiani was then picked up by a Grab officer who reported the incident to the police.According to Imam, however, his navigation app had pointed him in the wrong direction.Imam said he had only been a GrabCar driver for a month and was also new to the city, being a native of Brebes, Central Java.“I don’t really know the South Jakarta area, I only know a bit of West Jakarta,” he said.He added that what Istiani thought was a walkie-talkie was just him answering a phone call in a low voice in an attempt not to disturb her.“I want to apologize to all affected parties, including Grab, the Jakarta Police, and [Istiani] for this miscommunication. This [incident] also probably happened because I haven’t fully grasped how to use the Grab application,” he said. (gis)Topics : Istiani’s harrowing account of her ride with Imam went viral on Twitter and Instagram over the weekend.Read also: Woman uses Grab emergency button to escape shady driver in viral cautionary taleThe incident started when she ordered a GrabCar service to two destinations, to her office in the Dharmawangsa area in South Jakarta, and then to Indonesia Convention Exhibition in Bumi Serpong Damai.Istiani had claimed that Imam was driving further away from Dharmawangsa and sped toward a toll road. During the ride, she also said she heard something that sounded like a walkie-talkie. He also frequently looked at her over his shoulder, making her suspicious and uncomfortable.
China has been spreading “disinformation” about the coronavirus and its naval activities are a matter of “grave” concern, Japan said in its annual defense review published Tuesday.After a period of warming relations between the two Asian powers last year, ties have cooled in recent months amid international souring of sentiment on China over the virus and Beijing’s imposition of a national security law on Hong Kong.The closely watched paper on Japan’s defense policy accused China of “propaganda efforts… including the spread of disinformation” over the virus, which first broke out in the Chinese city of Wuhan. A Japanese defense official presenting the report cited as examples comments made on Twitter by China’s foreign ministry that US forces may have brought the virus to Wuhan, as well as claims that Chinese herbal medicines can treat the disease.China has “relentlessly continued its unilateral attempts to change the status quo by coercion in the sea around the Senkaku islands”, the review says, referring to disputed islets the Chinese call the Diaoyu.This is a “grave matter of concern”, Japan said, adding that Beijing “has sustained a high-level defense budget without transparency over more than 30 years”.The United States has ramped up pressure on Chinese activities in the South China Sea, with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo branding Beijing’s pursuit of resources there illegal.China hit back on Tuesday, attacking Pompeo’s claims as “unjustified”.In general the coronavirus pandemic would divert military resources to domestic crises, but could also lead to greater “strategic competition among countries”, the 596-page report suggested.On North Korea, the report repeated its assessment that the rogue state “has already miniaturized nuclear weapons to fit ballistic missile warheads”.Topics :
Press Release, Public Health Governor Tom Wolf today reminded Pennsylvanians that mask-wearing is required when entering any business in all counties in the state in both yellow and green phases of reopening. Masks are considered critical in stopping the spread of COVID, now and in preparation for a possible resurgence of the virus in the fall.The mask requirement is part of Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel’s Levine’s order, “Directing Public Health Safety Measures for Businesses Permitted to Maintain In-person Operations,” which pertains to all counties regardless of the phase of reopening.“In yellow and green counties, it is required that masks are worn when visiting businesses to protect employees, employees’ families, and communities as a whole,” Gov. Wolf said. “Mask-wearing has proven to be an important deterrent to the spread of the virus, and as more counties move to green and more things reopen, we need to be vigilant in our efforts to continue our mitigation efforts.”A recent study from Cambridge and Greenwich universities in the United Kingdom found that cloth masks, “even homemade masks with limited effectiveness can dramatically reduce transmission rates if worn by enough people, regardless of whether they show symptoms.”Peer-reviewed studies published in scientific journals such as The New England Journal of Medicine corroborate the need for masks and the U.S. Surgeon General said that wearing a mask doesn’t impinge on our freedom – it gives us more freedom from unknowingly spreading COVID-19.The state’s business guidance outlines mask-wearing requirements and additional safety parameters for both employees and customers.Read more on Gov. Wolf’s Process to Reopen PA here.Ver esta página en español. June 18, 2020 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Gov. Wolf: Mask-Wearing is Required, Critical to Stop COVID-19 Spread
Gobernador Wolf: El Congreso debe tomar medidas para ayudar a los restaurantes SHARE Email Facebook Twitter July 17, 2020 Economy, Español, National Issues, Press Release El Gobernador Tom Wolf insistió hoy al Congreso a proporcionar rápidamente ayuda financiera a los restaurantes de la nación al aprobar la Ley de Apoyo Económico Real que reconoce la Ley de Asistencia Única a los Restaurantes para Sobrevivir (RESTAURANTS, por sus siglas en inglés). El proyecto de ley bipartidista en el Congreso proporciona $120 mil millones para ayudar a restaurantes independientes con los desafíos económicos creados por la pandemia COVID-19.“Los restaurantes locales independientes de nuestra nación se han visto especialmente perjudicados por esta pandemia y necesitan ayuda federal”, dijo el Gobernador Wolf. “Estas pequeñas empresas son una parte importante de cada comunidad. Sirven como lugares que ayudan a unirnos y son un importante motor económico en las comunidades locales que crean miles de empleos de los que dependen las familias trabajadoras. La Ley de RESTAURANTES es un paso crítico para ayudar a muchas de estas pequeñas empresas y salvar empleos del comedor a la granja”.El proyecto de ley federal otorga subsidios para cubrir la diferencia entre los ingresos de 2019 y los ingresos proyectados hasta 2020, con un subsidio máximo de $10 millones. Las subvenciones estarían disponibles para el servicio de alimentos o establecimientos de bebidas que no cotizan en bolsa o que forman parte de una cadena con 20 o más ubicaciones que operan con el mismo nombre. Los fondos se pueden usar para nómina, beneficios, hipotecas, alquileres, equipos de protección, alimentos u otros costos.La legislación fue presentada por una coalición bipartidista que incluye a los representantes de Pennsylvania Dwight Evans, Susan Wild y Brian Fitzpatrick.El Gobernador insistió a la delegación del Congreso de Pennsylvania a apoyar el proyecto de ley.Un resumen de la legislación se puede encontrar aquí.View this information in English.
Brisbane home values are on track to make a full recovery in just four months, CoreLogic says. Image: AAP/Darren England.BRISBANE house prices are climbing so quickly, they could be breaking records by early next year, new analysis reveals.The Queensland capital’s housing market is on track to hit its peak in just four months if the current rate of growth continues — marking a huge turnaround from the start of this year, according to property analyst CoreLogic.HOME VALUE RECOVERY PROJECTIONSRegion 3 mths to Oct From market peak to Oct Date of peak Mths to recoveryGreater Brisbane 1.1% -1.6% Apr 2018 4 Logan 0.1% -4% Aug 2017 86South 1.2% -3.8% Nov 2017 9Moreton Bay South 1.1% -2.9% Jan 2019 8Ipswich 0.6% -1.7% Mar 2018 9Brisbane city 2.1% -1.6% Nov 2018 2North 0.5% -1.6% Apr 2018 10West 1.1% -1.3% Dec 2018 4Moreton Bay North 1.8% -0.7% Dec 2018 1East 0.9% -0.5% Apr 2018 2Source: CoreLogicThe past three months of gains has put Brisbane home values on a path to fully recover by March 2019 — the second strongest capital city market set to bounce back after Melbourne. RELATED: Shock numbers point to new property boom CoreLogic research director Tim Lawless said Brisbane had suffered a mild correction in comparison to some other capital cities, so that it put it on track for a faster recovery.“Brisbane is showing the next fastest recovery time frame (after Melbourne); not because values are rising rapidly, but mostly because the correction in values across Brisbane was quite shallow (down 2.9 per cent from peak to trough),” Mr Lawless said. Houses are seen in the Brisbane suburb of Paddington. Image: AAP/Darren England.Melbourne is the strongest capital city market in the country at the moment.If the current rate of growth continues, Melbourne will be at another peak as of January next year.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus11 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market11 hours agoSydney – due to the size of its falls – has a bit longer to wait.House prices are currently around 10 per cent below their 2017 peak and will take at least six months to recover. Melbourne is on track to make the strongest recovery in home values, according to CoreLogic. Picture: Mark Stewart.Nationally, property values are also on track to fully recover in six months.In just the last quarter, values have jumped by 2.9 per cent. Most capital cities have recorded a rise in home values over the past three months, with the exception of Perth and Darwin, where values have been trending lower since mid-2014.Mr Lawless said the housing market recovery should provide some support for the national economy by boosting household wealth which would potentially lead to improved confidence and a greater willingness to spend. MORE: Buyers push to be in by Christmas Rising home values could impact housing affordability. Photo: Brett Wortman.On the flipside, he said the rapid recovery in home values would impact affordability. “With housing values rising rapidly in some areas, we could see less first home buyer participation in the market as affordability pressures start to dampen activity across this important sector of the market,” Mr Lawless said.
Christopher G. “Sparky” Bedel, age 49 of Hamburg, died Monday, July 3, 2017 at his residence. Born February 18, 1968 in Batesville, he is the son of Marjorie (Nee: Blankman) and Ferdinand Bedel. He worked security at Jawacdah Farm for Hillenbrand Industries and was a former member of the Hamburg Knights of St. John.Described by his family as gentle soul with a big heart, humble and unselfish, he would do anything for anyone. Family was important to him and he liked spending time with everyone from brothers and sisters to nieces and nephews, but then he never met a stranger either. They also talked about his nurturing abilities. He would take things others had given up on which could include anything from pets to plants and nurse them back to health. A hard worker, he could fix most anything. Although Sparky was an avid Reds fan, his true passion was coon hunting. His siblings teased that all those years in the woods apparently had a strange effect on him, as he believed in Sasquatch.He is survived by his parents Margie and Ferdie Bedel of Hamburg; sisters Jeanie Portis of Stevensville, Michigan, Mary Laudick of Oldenburg; brothers Joseph of New Alsace, Indiana, Michael of Oldenburg, Dan of Mooresville, North Carolina, John (Henry) of Batesville, Benson of Greensburg and Francis of Hamburg as well as numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.Visitation is Thursday, July 6th, from 4 – 7 p.m. at the Weigel Funeral Home. Funeral services are 10 a.m. Friday, July 7th at Holy Family Church with Rev. Carl Langderfer O.F.M. officiating. Burial will be in St. Anne’s Cemetery. The family requests memorials to the St. Anne’s Cemetery Fund or Riley Children’s Hospital.
West Ham have announced Nikola Jurcevic as Slaven Bilic’s assistant manager. The 49-year-old former Croatia international appeared at Euro ’96 in England as a player and has worked under Bilic with the pair’s national team, Lokomotiv Moscow and Besiktas. Jurcevic told West Ham’s official website: ” I am very happy that I can start work at the club. I am very motivated for the future and think we have a good team. I hope we will have a very good season. “I am very excited to work in England because I think the Premier League is one of the best in the world. “I know Slaven well and when I started my career as a coach and was a manager in Croatia, Slaven called me when he was national coach and we worked together for six years. We are good friends but we have a similar view on football and we work really well together. “I know it is a big opportunity for me and I am happy to work in the Premier League, live in London and work for a big club like West Ham.” Press Association
Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Las Vegas Raiders have taken edge rusher Maxx Crosby off the reserve/COVID-19 list. The announcement from the ASUN’s Presidents’ Council on Friday also says that providing a spring season for men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s soccer and volleyball is a priority.“We’re not in the position today to guarantee it will happen, but we can promise to make every effort to get there. We owe that to our student-athletes, our athletic departments and our institutions,” ASUN Commissioner Ted Gumbart said in a statement.League schools may continue with such activities like training and practice in accordance with NCAA, local and state guidelines.The nine-team league operates mostly in the Southeast and does not play football. It is formally known as the Atlantic Sun Conference. ___ More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports August 14, 2020 Crosby was placed on the list last week. The list was created for players who either test positive for COVID-19 or have been in close contact with an infected person.He was removed on Friday and took part in his first practice.Crosby is being counted on to contribute much more after recording 10 sacks as a rookie. He is slated to be a starting defensive end and is the top pass rusher on a team that has struggled to generate consistent pressure in recent years.___The ASUN Conference says it is postponing all fall sports because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Latest: Raiders’ Maxx Crosby off reserve/COVID-19 list Associated Press